From: madduck at madduck.net (martin f krafft)
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure] Anti-MS drivel

[flame-bait ahead]

also sprach Helmut Hauser <helmut_hauser@...mail.com> [2004.01.23.2154 +0100]:
> Sometimes it?s to blame us administrators for not installing patches -
> slammer and blaster patches were released way BEFORE the outbreak(s) occured
> but most admins did not patch,
> simply they dont?t even know that there is a patch available ! Could you
> blame Microsoft on that ? Simply no, cause as admin I have to know about
> patches/releases, I have to be on the MS security mailinglist and so on.

when i patch a windows system, i encounter downtime and possibly
a whole set of new problems. been there many times.

when there is a security hazard in linux, i can fix it over ssh from
a beach in malibu in 98% of the cases, requiring a restart of
a single service.

> e.g. I had to help out one large organisation (the famous infected notebook
> thingy) to patch the whole IT, what a nightshift ...
>
> *nix admins patch regulary but some (so called) windows admins) don?t -
> cause they did not realize that there is something to patch ...

the source of this difference is deeper: (a) UNIX admins know
computers and networks; windows admins know where the control panel
is. (b) unix is modular; windoze is monolithic.

flames -> /dev/null

> I recommend the MS SUS server, it?s free, you can test patches
> before approving them and it is inexpensive compared to SMS

i recommend linux. it's free and it works.

> - Change the behavior of XP Home (everyone is admin) - create an
> own install account with warning background - SuSE like with bombs

windows won't properly operate in all cases without admin rights,
unless you spend hours tweaking it. remember: NT's help and print
system did not work if you made c:\winnt read-only to everyone.

> - Software vendors - change your installers - most games run only
> as admin in WinXP ...

little they can do with a flawed operating system. while in unix,
security is being worked into the core, in the windoze world,
security is a band aid you shuff on top of the other 100 you already
stuck on.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@...duck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

i'm currently out trying to find myself.
If I should get back before i return,
please keep me here.