From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Status

"Gregh" <chows@...mail.com.au> wrote:

<<snip>>
> > > Use Mcafee here and it DID find it. Engine 4.3.20 dat 4319
> >
> > Guys -- we don't care.
>
> It is actually important whether you care or not. The person saying Mcafee
> didnt find it for them may have a problem on the machine on which it was
> tested or possibly even an ancient Mcafee.

I did not say it was not important (at least to someone).  I said "we
don't care".  A specific (out-of-date, mis-configured, etc, etc_ virus
scanner missing a new virus is _NOT_ a security issue of signiifcance
to the charter of this list.  In other words...

   We don't care!

> > Realistically you will not have access to "the latest" updates so when
>
> That just doesnt make sense said like that. The Mcafee update covering all
> this came out before I actually received my first infected email,
> interestingly from this list!
>
> > some or other product detected something in your potted tests is just
> > so much noise.
> >

> No, It is still good information.
>
> > Save list messages for _useful and informative_ content.
>
> There's always the "N" or "DEL" key for messages you don't find useful.

And there are also _other lists_ where such "information" is actually
on-topic.  Please consider carefully where you post such stuff.

Finally, I do not care what your opinion of this comment this, but if
you really must respond to it, _do so off-list_.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald