From: jlacour at zonelabs.com (John LaCour)
Subject: Vulnerability ZoneAlarm Pro 4.5.532.000

Zone Labs response concerning a reported Denial of Service
vulnerability in ZoneAlarm Pro v4.5.532.

Zone Labs is aware of a reported Denial of Service vulnerability in
ZoneAlarm Pro v4.5.532 as reported by Marko Rogge of German-Secure
on the Full-Disclosure mailing list on January 28th.  We first
received this report on Tuesday January 27th.

Zone Labs has reviewed the test results presented by Mr. Rogge and
used a similar methodology to try and reproduce his findings.  We
were unable to do so and, as a result, we do not believe that
Mr. Rogge's tests indicate that there are any vulnerabilities in
ZoneAlarm Pro or other Zone Labs products.

In our own testing, using similarly configured systems, we do see
an increase in CPU utilization at higher packet rates - up to
approximately 20%.  However, in no cases does the system become
unresponsive.  Additionally, the firewall continues to perform its
job of allowing or denying traffic based on the configured policy.

Zone Labs would also like to point out the connection speed of
55 Mbps in the test case reported is 50 to 500 times the bandwidth
available to a typical broadband user.  In real-world scenarios,
a user's bandwidth would be exhausted prior to the network traffic
having a significant impact to ZoneAlarm Pro.

Additionally, Mr. Rogge and Mixter did not report the results of
the system when the ZoneAlarm firewall was not present.  At extreme
data rates any system's performance will be impaired by a denial
of service attack regardless of the presence of ZoneAlarm Pro.

In summary, ZoneAlarm Pro users are not vulnerable to a denial of
service attack as a result of using ZoneAlarm Pro, nor can a denial
of service attack be used to circumvent ZoneAlarm Pro's protection.

Zone Labs takes security vulnerability issues very seriously and
welcomes the opportunity to work with the security community.
While we appreciate Mr. Rogge bringing the matter to our attention,
we ask that all security researchers contact us on
security@...elabs.com
(as mentioned in all of our security advisories), and that in
accordance with industry practice, we be given up to 7 days to
respond
before any issues are disclosed publicly.  In all cases, Zone Labs
will make every attempt possible to acknowledge the report within
48 hours.

John LaCour
Zone Labs
Security Response Team Manager