From: exibar at thelair.com (Exibar)
Subject: Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik van Straten" <emvs.fd.3FB4D11C@....tn.tudelft.nl>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 9:58 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

> Warning: if you dunno what L1-A means you may wanna press Del now
>
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:47:55 -0500 "Exibar" wrote:
> > Well, I wrote an infinate loop in Fortran (accidentally, really!),
> > well guess what I did, I caused the first DoS.
>
> Yeah, thanks to someone like you I'm in this silly business. A local
> student did the same on our univ. mainframe which cost our group about
> 500 US$ (ignoring inflation), so the professor decided to buy a Sun
> 4/110 plus 5x 3C503 (100x that price) for all AT's we had at the time.

Yikes!  Thanks to someone like me????  What I wrote about was a programming
error, done by a teenager that was just learning Fortran and performed an
honest mistake.  Mistakes are part of the learning process.  You did read
the part where I said I terminated the program when it was found that it was
my program causing the DoS.....
 But, I'll take your comment with a grain of salt and not take offense to
it.  There wasn't any monetary loss due to this error, and it was a learning
experience for everyone involved.  I'm sure that if this happened in today's
backwards thinking schools that i would have been suspended for this
programming error.  Just like that 13 year old that was suspended for using
the "net send" command and accused of hacking....

   The two programming teachers and I actually had a laugh about it
afterwards  ;-)

 Ex