From: John.Airey at rnib.org.uk (John.Airey@...b.org.uk)
Subject: Apparently the practice was prevalent

822.

> > In fact, RFC 2822 which obsoletes RFC 822 doesn't even mention
> > relays.
>
> Of course. It also doesn't mention space ships. It's just about
> something else. It has not anything to do with "email relaying".

What do space ships have to do with this discussion? There's no mention of
them in RFC 822, so this is hardly relevant.
> The right one is RFC 2821. See the quote of "Relaying" part from my

Is it? Only 2822 supersedes 822. 2821 supersedes 821, which also implies you
should have open relays. It states that you should have EXPN enabled. Both
were a bad idea even before April 2001, yet they had remained the "standard"
for almost 20 years.

> > Is there any RFC that specifies that open relays are a bad idea?
>
> Do not expect that there is an RFC for every bad idea around ...

Which basically means that anything not strictly allowed isn't. My point
exactly...
> > I can't find one.
>
> I can.
>
> RFC 2505         Anti-Spam Recommendations       February 1999

No you can't. I also found RFC 2505 after sending my mail, however it still
mentions nothing about open relays. It talks about "Non-Relay" and
"unauthorised relaying" (an oxymoron?). These indeed mean the same thing,
just like "no username and password" with http means that Microsoft
shouldn't have made this "feature" available. It's been abused, granted not
in the way that was first envisaged in the RFC, but abused nonetheless.

This goes to prove that you can't have your cake and eat it.

Bottom line:

Microsoft made a mistake in not adhering to the standards.
Microsoft have now fixed their mistake, and given the option to restore the
broken behaviour.
Users still complain.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey@...b.org.uk

According to the book of Acts, Eutychus was the first man to suffer from a
General Protection Fault with Windows.

-
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.