From: webheadport80 at netscape.net (webheadport80@...scape.net)
Subject: Absurd Microsoft QA?  The Return of the "username@...sword"...

This was just brought to my attention.  I have to tell you how ridiculous
the below events are.  See URL link below for yourself.

* February 2, 2004, Microsoft issues an emergency IE cumulative patch
  (MS04-004) which had three fixes.  As everyone is aware by now... one
  removed the functionality to utilize "username@...sword:" in URL
  references which got a lot of hoopla in the industry.
    * This release was outside of Microsoft's own, established monthly
      schedule for security patches.  The whole infosec industry was
      dumb-founded by this?  as there was NO new impending threat taking
      advantage of the IE vulnerabilities this 004 patch fixed.  This made
      absolutely no sense to release this outside of the established
      monthly cycle.
    * Considering that on February 10, 2004?  just one week later?
      Microsoft would release their scheduled monthly set of security
      patches?  this causes a lot of frustration and rework for large
      corporations to address significant Microsoft security patches a week
      a part as two initiatives instead of combining them into one
      concerted effort.
    * Microsoft's defense is that there was an immediate threat.  Well,
      November 2003 is when the IE vulnerabilities were discovered.  Why
      weren't these addressed and released then???  Is it accurate to
      assume that Microsoft takes 3 months to address IMMEDIATE threats???
      The ASN vulnerability (MS04-007) released today by Microsoft is
      significantly more severe and critical than any of the IE
      vulnerabilities.

* Here's the final straw?  On February 10, 2004?  Microsoft released
  a patch that?  restores the "username@...sword:" functionality in URL