From: rootmoose at telia.com (Ake Nordin)
Subject: <to various comments>EEYE: Microsoft
  ASN.1 ...

At 07:59 2004-02-12 -0800, Gregory A. Gilliss wrote:
>I'm not asking, but it appears evident that eEye has a business partner
>agreement with M$ that restricts their ability to release their research
>in a "timely manner". Same thing that happened to securityfocus when
>Symantec bought them. The rules have changed. I acknowledge the situation.
>However I tolerate it; I do not care for it one bit.

Which is precisely why I nowadays can live quite well without bugtraq,
but would be very uneasy without FD, flame wars or not.

I wasn't around on this list by the time that M$ started FUDding against
full disclosure and trying to hijack "responsible disclosure" for it's
own purposes, but I haven't found much about it in the archives. That
they push security by obscurity is not news, but it is "interesting" to
observe the way they divide and conquer the security professionals circus
by defining closed groups of security experts who get the info before
everybody else in return for accepting "community consensus that public
disclosure is no good". When will they ever learn?

It is a comforting thought that M$ will see the same kind of hard times
that Big Blue did in the eighties, while they still thougt that they were
invulnerable as undisputed leaders of the mainframe market. I hope they
don't get time enough on the top to ruin the information society
altogether before they crumble...

Alas, seems I can't keep myself from ranting. Promise I'll shut up the
noise for the weekend at least.

--
  .
 /Ake Nordin       +46704-660199       rootmoose@...ia.com