From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: New Security News Website

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Benjamin Meade wrote:

> g0d wrote:
> > while having a test box out there 'in the wild'
> > accumulating data on currently-employed techniques for cracking hosts,
> > methinks that functionality would be better suited to a separate host.
>
> It is entirely possible that this functionality *is* on a separate host, but
> this is beside the point. The point being made that open ports do not
> necessarily constitute insecurity.

The other point being made is that this system is already going to attract
a significant ammount of attention.  Open ports. whther proxied to some
sense of security or not, is going to attract a tad bit more attnetion in
and of itself.  That and the fact that mailing list software tends to
present it's own set of administrative issues, with which errors are easy
to surface and likely be exploited.  Added services only hieghten the
potential.  There is the possibility this system might well attract more
attention then was assumed/wanted/warranted.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.