From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: New Security News Website

--On Monday, February 16, 2004 4:36 PM -0800 "Gregory A. Gilliss"
<ggilliss@...publishing.com> wrote:

> Hey Paul,
>
> Two questions ...
>
> One, why make assumptions about someone you don't know?

I wasn't aware I made any assumptions.  You posted a list of open ports you
found by using nmap and suggested that the OP needed help learning about
hackers.  All I did was ask a question and point out that open ports do not
necessarily mean insecure ports.

> Two, why answer in an antagonistic tone (minus smileys)?

What about my answer was antagonistic?  I asked a simple question and made
simple observations.

> AFAIK the original post was an ad for a new list. First thing I'm going
> to look for is whether the machine hosting the list *appears* secure.
> Yeah, they can have a loud nmap response and it can be bogus, no duh!
> The machine in question may be running honeypot/masquerading/whatever.
> I don't care. Scan any of my IPs and you get RSTs back. That's *my*
> version of secure. Attackers get diddly.
>
> Notice that I am not saying that *my* version of secure has to be *yours*.

If what you say is true, then why assume that what you found at someone
else's site is insecure?  ISTM you're being a little hypocritical, aren't
you?

> <sigh> I miss the good old BBS days when people who had a clue would
> *help* each other instead of making every f**king post into a pissing
> contest. Posts like this one are why I have a blacklist for FD.

Aren't you being a bit disingenuous?  It was you that posted the list of
open ports and suggested the OP need instruction in hacking.  All I did was
suggest that there were other possibilities beside the OP being clueless.
Then you take that as a personal attack and insinuate that anyone who
disagrees with you is clueless *and* that this is a pissing contest!  If
you take offense each time someone offers another POV, you're going to be
taking offense all day long, especially on *this* list, aren't you?

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member