From: dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall)
Subject: Knocking Microsoft

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, joe wrote:

> And just to get it out there so people don't think they came up with some
> surprising news. I am a Windows Guy. Previously I was a DEC RSTS/E guy, a
> DEC VAX VMS guy, a Sperry Univac mainframe guy (though only COBOL coding on
> punch cards), and a Sparc guy twiddling bits on the 68000.....

Ooh, a dick-waving contest...  You're just a tiddler.

Let's see; apart from when I built my own computers as a schoolboy in the
late 60s, I got to use a Varian and a PDP-8 just after leaving school,
regularly hacked into IBM MFT and MVT on a 360/50 followed by CDC KRONOS
on a CYBER 70/72 and a 170/73, bummed around ICL GECOS and a Burroughs
B-1700 on MCP, finally got employed in 1975 to keep people like me out and
found Unix on a PDP-11/40.  Since then, I've used RSX-11/D and /M (and
hated them), RSTS/E (ditto), RT-11 (not too bad - it paid the rent and I
got to be creative), VMS (why did those jerks go out of their way to make
it hard to use?), and probably every version of Unix on possibly every bit
of hardware around.

Oh yes, I've also fiddled bits on Z80, 68000, etc.

I remember thinking in the 80s when BillyWare became prevalent, why are
these morons making the same mistakes we made and fixed years ago?

-- Dave