From: madduck at madduck.net (martin f krafft)
Subject: Re: Knocking Microsoft

Please don't CC me. I have Mail-Followup-To set.

also sprach Steve Wray <steve.wray@...adise.net.nz> [2004.02.28.2031 +0100]:
> I've seen it. I trust the evidence of my senses. It was an older
> debian install though.

Thus, your point? There are silly things in Windoze that don't get
fixed for years, doubtful they will ever. If you file a bug due to
such a cause, Debian will have it fixed within days.

> > > debian even brings up networking in single user!
> >
> > ... which is helpful. alas, there are no daemons listening, so
> > what gives?
>
> The purpose of single user is to be able to bring a machine up in
> a bare state; 'single user' mode. Its just personal, but
> networking is a sufficiently complex subsystem that it should not
> be enabled in single user mode.

At least my machines are generally *much* more usable when they can
access other machines in my network, be it in single-user mode or
full user. After all, it's still just me using them. Thus,
single-user mode.

> > I'd appreciate if you'd either start using your brain or shut up
> > while spouting fud!
>
> Thats pretty rude of you, and pointless too.
> Did it make you feel better though?

Sure it did. Why do you think you are here?

In any case, it may have been over the edge, but when there's
something I can't stand -- of which there isn't a lot -- then it's
people who cast general statements without actually being up to
date. Neither of the two acclaimed bugs exist in Debian as of today.
And if you run the stable release then you hardly should be making
changes to the system where the aforementioned matters.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@...duck

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"if confronted with a choice between all the truth in god's right hand
 and the ever live struggle for truth, coupled with eternal error, in
 god's left, i would choose the left."
                                                   -- gotthold lessing