From: broyds at rogers.com (Bill Royds)
Subject: E-mail spoofing countermeasures (Was: Backdoor not recognized by Kaspersky)

Outlook 2003, Outlook Express 6. Mozilla mail etc. do recognize what host to
use for sending depending on what PoP server was used to read the mail. They
maintain accounts and any mail that comes in one account (its PoP3 server)
goes out that accounts corresponding SMP server. For example, this is going
out on my Full Disclosure account, not my Yahoo or Hotmail.
The problem is that there MX entries have nothing logical to do with where
an email comes from. MX is mail destination addresses.
What is needed is a mail source record in DNS (MS record ?) that gives the
legitimate  sending hosts for that domain. If the envelope from address uses
a certain domain, looking up the MS record for that domain should produce an
IP  list that includes the sending host.
  Using authenticated SMTP, this would still allow a different return
address in headers since envelope from would be user who authenticated to
SMTP server. But it  would prevent spoofed email (although spam would still
arrive, it could be tied to actual sender, allowing things like CAN-SPAM to
work).