From: incidents at tooterfish.com (Incident List Account)
Subject: Re: E-Mail viruses

Curt, be carefull not to strain your arm patting yourself on the back :) I actually really like your solution UNTIL the "completely eliminates the need for antivirus on the mail server" comment. If an outside party follows the procedure and remnames his file to file1.inc and sends it to your user, are you 100% confident in that outside party's attachement is not inadvetantly infected with a virus? I agree that only allowing a certain obscure extension through to your user eliminates the VAST majority of the problems. I would not however trust any file from a third party with out some sort of scan.