From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Email legislation does not exist

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Bill Royds wrote:

> Interestingly, the regular postal service started as a collection of private
> couriers carrying mail using private stagecoaches.
> One great advance of the 19th century was to create the Royal Mail in
> England which guaranteed delivery to all for a minimal cost.
> Part of the agreement was the idea that mail had legal status and there was
> an enforceable contract for delivery.
> The postage stamp was invented so that the sender would be able to make an
> easy contract. He had paid for delivery so he should be guaranteed delivery.
> Perhaps sender-pay is an idea whose time has come on the Internet.

Prior to the blanket opening of the internet flood gates to the public at
large, amny providers like prodigy, AOL, compuspend and various others
did just that.  This feel away with many of the other costly contraints
as more ambitious and less stingy providers stepped in to suck in pennies
on the dollar for a larger client base.  Funny that it's again one of the
"new" proposals coming out of redmond...

Cool, the internet  dance, one step forward two back, three to the right
side and a half step left...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.