From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] Re: Re: Microsoft Security, baby steps ?

Geoincidents wrote:
> to secure 2000 without using the network and windowsupdate:
>
> install 2000
> sp4
> Windows2000-KB823559-x86-ENU.exe

<unbelievably big snip>

> Q832894.exe
>
> NT4 is even worse and before they are allowed to completely
> drop support for
> NT4 they should at least have the decency to do a rollup of
> all the patches
> so it's left in some sort of workable condition for those who aren't
> upgrading.

But that would be opposed to their busines model that is based on doing
their best to force you to upgrade, as opposed to creating and supporting a
good product.  Personally, W2K was my last MS product.

BTW, I love the way SuSe updates online during install, before the first
boot off the hard drive. Those guys know security.

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions