From: FederatedInformationSecurity at federatedinv.com (Federated Information Security)
Subject: Emailing SSN info

Google's a wonderful thing.  A quick search on "Social Security Number
Privacy Law" brought up the SSN FAQ
(http://www.faqs.org/faqs/privacy/ssn-faq/) along with lots of other
good links.  Here's an excerpt from the FAQ:

-----------------

   The Privacy Act of 1974

The Privacy Act of 1974 (Pub. L. 93-579, in section 7), which is the
primary law affecting the use of SSNs, requires that any federal, state,
or local government agency that requests your Social Security Number has
to tell you four things:

1: The authority (whether granted by statute, or by executive order of
the
   President) which authorizes the solicitation of the information and
   whether disclosure of such information is mandatory or voluntary;

2: The principal purposes for which the information is intended to be
used;

3: The routine uses which may be made of the information, as published
   annually in the Federal Register, and

4: The effects on you, if any, of not providing all or any part of the
   requested information.

The Act requires state and local agencies which request the SSN to
inform the
individual of only three things:

1: Whether the disclosure is mandatory or voluntary,
2: By what statutory or other authority the SSN is solicited, and
3: What uses will be made of the number.