From: tim-security at sentinelchicken.org (Tim)
Subject: Viruses from the list...

> I quite understand how this is possible, I simply don't see why this
> content which is clearly:
> 1. Mis-leading.
> B. Nothing but harmful.
> C. Not in accordance with the list charter.
>
> Should be allowed here.

Gadi,

I don't disagree with you.  While I am extremely hesitant to agree to
any type of automated filtering (be it spam or virus), I do agree that
broadcasting virus messages to a large subscriber base is a bad idea (if
for the bandwidth consumption alone).

However, I just took a look at my inbox, and have determined that the
vast majority of virus messages I have received in the last month were
not sent to the list.  The messages were sent directly to me.  Based on
my mail configuration, I can tell that the viruses stole my email
address from some source related to the lists (web mail archives,
old emails in peoples' inboxes), but the messages weren't generally sent
through the list itself.

Perhaps in the future we will see a rash of viruses hit the list, but
right now, it isn't the list maintainers' problem.

tim