From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: RE: [Unpatched] PivX Predictions Confirmed,
 Qwik-Fix Protected

"Alerta Redsegura" <alerta@...segura.com> wrote:

> The following is an excerpt from a PivX statement which is worth quoting:
>
> ---
>
> "PivX Predictions Confirmed, Qwik-Fix Protected
> Over the course of the last 2 years, PivX Solutions has warned the security
> industry and the public about the possibility of automatically executing
> email worms. This week, we have seen the launch of the first such successful
> mass-emailing worm, namely Bagle.Q and its variants.
>
> These worms differ from ordinary email borne viruses in that they require no
> user interaction such as opening an email attachment. Instead, they
> automatically infect a user?s machine the instant the email is displayed."
>
> ---
>
> Bagle.Q the "first successful mass-emailing worm" able to auto-execute when
> previewed or read????
>
> What about Nimda, Bugbear, Klez and all the saga of auto-executing email
> worms that started back in 2001?

And what about BubbleBoy and Kak from 1999?

Seems PivX has missed the best part of half a decade of "auto-executing
from only (pre)viewing the Email message" viruses...

> I must be missing something...

Perhaps the chance for fame and glory PivX is hoping for from all the
free publicity that will be generated from its entirely bogus claims
being picked up and repeated more or less verbatim by a media machine
now much more focussed on "entertaining" than on "informing" and whose
recent history suggests the concept of "fact checking" is now such a
dim and distant memory as to have become irrelevant to its content
production process???  (With apologies to the four real journalists who
will read this and still do proper fact-checking...)

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.