From: dcopley at eeye.com (Drew Copley)
Subject: RE: new internet explorer exploit  (was new worm)

Yeah, we have one with Yahoo in pending. Though, it was a bit difficult
to find. (It has not be added to our upcoming advisory list, yet.)

In fact, I am good friends with several of the guys who found the last
ones... Dror Shalev and http-equiv. (Never really talked to Greymagic,
just by chance, I suppose.)

These are top bugfinders, though, and they are very skilled people. I do
not dismiss the skills of any of the people who have found these bugs...
but I do believe there are more in there.

> The only propagation
> limiting problem
> is that all trafic goes through centralized servers which can
> be easily
> updated (check your archives for site-specific responds
> times). But if you
> combine it with your regular e-mail worm techniques, you can be sure
> propagation continues after that fix.

Right, I find these security holes extremely alarming. In fact, I
accidentally flamed a bug finder once because I thought he posted Yahoo
zero day... and I am known as a guy that is patient and apologetic for
those who post zero day without going to the vendor first. (Because I
know all too well, for one thing, that they don't have to post it at
all.)

And, I know what it feels like to have this Yahoo zero day in my pocket
here. It is a dangerous thing.

That's why this business is so much funner then writing database
programs.