From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: Training & Certifications

> Without the experience behind the cert, any and all
> certs aren't even worth the paper they're printed
on.

This is true, and I couldn't agree more.  However, the
thing about certs is that they have to be measureable
and repeatable...which, when one becomes popular, very
quickly leads to bootcamps, etc.  There a lot of folks
w/ the necessary experience...but even that doesn't
make a "qualified" security professional.

> With that said, the most notable Security
> cert would have to be CISSP.

The CISSP may be useful for Robert's upper-level
folks, but it's really more of a management level
cert.  For what Robert seems to want to do, I wouldn't
think that any certs would be necessary...after all,
are small businesses really going to want to pay the
higher price for folks w/ high-level certs?

Robert, saying you want to set up a security
consultancy for small businesses, what kind of
services do you plan to offer?  Maybe that would help
your decision regarding certifications.  It might be
advisable to look for folks w/ MCSEs, Red Hat
cert...whatever os's you're going to support.

Hope that helps a bit...

Harlan