From: rgerhards at hq.adiscon.com (Rainer Gerhards)
Subject: Block notification / bounce mails (as in      DDOS)

We have also worked around similar situations by setting up new postfix
boxes on a COLO facility. Thus, you direct the excess traffic to the
COLO (you should make sure your plan covers enough traffic allowance,
but this can nowadays purchased *very* inexpensively). Then, on the COLO
server, you configure a quite agressive postfix/spamassasin eventually
virus scanner. For the large bunch in question, configure postfix rules
that work on the envelope ... this is extremely efficient. When done,
change your MX to the colo box. Also make sure that your real mail
server only accepts traffic from the front end box. If you select a good
colo facility, it is hard to envision you will run out of bandwidth just
because of smtp bounce traffic, even when the number is very high.

A collague had a very similar situations where the scenario actually
happened to their low-powered home boxes at low-bandwitdh DSL
(768Donw/128Up) accounts. They received several 10.000 NDRs but the only
annoyance was to delete these, which obviously was done quickly by some
filtering.

Just my 2cts...

Rainer