From: seth at fogieonline.com (Seth Fogie)
Subject: erase with magnet

Glad you mentioned the Gutman note.

The subject is Magnetic Force Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and deals
with very low level extraction of data. I looked into this a few months
ago and asked Peter Gutman about it and this was his response:

"...with newer PRML/EPRML drives it's unlikely you can still recover
much, and the
drives in use at the time I (Peter Gutman) wrote the article
(early-mid'90s) have mostly
fallen out of use."

This is actually stated at the bottom of his article online at
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html where he states:

" In the time since this paper was published, some people have treated
the 35-pass overwrite technique described in it more as a kind of voodoo
incantation to banish evil spirits than the result of a technical
analysis of drive encoding techniques. As a result, they advocate
applying the voodoo to PRML and EPRML drives even though it will have no
more effect than a simple scrubbing with random data. In fact performing
the full 35-pass overwrite is pointless for any drive since it targets a
blend of scenarios involving all types of (normally-used) encoding
technology, which covers everything back to 30+-year-old MFM methods (if
you don't understand that statement, re-read the paper). If you're using
a drive which uses encoding technology X, you only need to perform the
passes specific to X, and you never need to perform all 35 passes. For
any modern PRML/EPRML drive, a few passes of random scrubbing is the
best you can do. As the paper says, "A good scrubbing with random data
will do about as well as can be expected". This was true in 1996, and is
still true now."

His article is a very interesting read :)

Seth