From: se_cur_ity at hotmail.com (morning_wood)
Subject: MCSE training question

>Oh contraire, the first thing we do when we go onsite to work on windows box
>is ask my client to reboot it first, particularly if it is a server, as
>occassionally they they do not come back up, and we do not want to be blamed
>just because the OS is unstable

and you claim to be a security professional?
( Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA )

the first thing would be to sit down at the suspect console and observe.
the second thing would be to... observe.
then i might consider a course of action...
possibly the box in question is instable because of a compromise,
or a worm or a 0day... what about that Curt?
never would i ( or tell anyone ) to just "reboot that box before i touch it"
now i know why fortune 500 companies get horrendous infections.

"shocked and awed"

Donnie Werner
http://exploitlabs.com