From: dislists at updegrove.net (Rick Updegrove)
Subject: The new Microsoft math:  1 patch for 14 vulnerabilities,
 MS04-011

Exibar wrote:

> You might have a point there with your box Curt ;-)
>
>   But, Windows has a nice little utility that will patch you system for you
> and pop up a nice little box near the clock that says system patched too...
> Windows Update works quite well actually.  Now if it was only turned full on
> by default.

On 2 recent occasions that I can recall a "windows update" broke windows.

Once it disabled the NIC altogether and on another occasion it caused IE
to run slower than a one legged cat, trying to bury a turd, on a frozen
pond.

So as a result I no longer leave "install" by default, and instead I
"download and notify" then every other day read all the "A serious blah
blah -- allow attackers to take over the entire machine remotely blah
blah" and manually patch

Rick