From: purdy at tecman.com (Curt Purdy)
Subject: [inbox] Re: Hi! Antiviruses Comparison - A Little Research Results

Of 3APA3A wrote:
> FT> Only finnish F-Secure and american CA has Windows/Linux
> AV products
> FT> with multiple independent virus scanning engines. This
> gives protection
> FT> against false positives, but requires more system resources.
>
> Not exactly. At least Chinese iduba.net from Kingsoft uses 2
> kernels. As
> far  as  I  know  Russian  Dr.Web  works on engine to work
> with multiple
> antiviral kernels of different vendors.

Been following this thread and I can bite my tongue no longer.  As a
long-time user of the first AV in the world, F-Secure, then F-Prot in '88, I
have found it to be the only AV that could detect and remove every virus I
have ever come upon, including multiple instances where fully updated Norton
and McAfee either did not detect or could not remove them.

They were the first AV with signature auto-updating over 4 years ago. And it
does not update once a week or once a day, but continually checks on an
hourly basis for new sigs.  It has three seperate scan engines, so it's like
having a layered defense in one product.  And it operates at the lowest
level of any AV I am aware of, running at the base level of I/O, actually
grabbing it off the disk before any other process can touch it, making it
extremely fast and efficient with no noticble impact in performance, even on
slow boxes.  My $.02

Curt Purdy CISSP, GSEC, MCSE+I, CNE, CCDA
Information Security Engineer
DP Solutions