From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: Cisco LEAP exploit tool...

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Jeff Schreiner wrote:

> Ok, I see I need to clarify that statement.  I was not disputing the fact
> that an RF transmission could not be extended to cover greater distances by
> using a yagi, beam or parabolic antenna I know this and yes I also read that
> section on point-to-point power limits.
>
> The situation I was thinking of was of a wireless router or access point
> with an out of the box physical configuration using the two supplied
> omni-directionals (that most wireless routers come with) being mounted say
> in the center of the 1st or 2nd floor of an office complex in a metropolitan
> area.  Is it realistically possible to pick up a signal from 7 miles away
> without any modification whatsoever to the transmitting station?
>
> If so what type of setup would be required on the receiving end?

The other question is;  is the the kind of setup in use in most corporate
envs?  While it's likely standard for home setups, this might not be the
same for companies requiring more flexability.

anyways, we do know that war driving has proved that wireless
transmissions do leak beyond a few hundred yards.  and are detectable at
least 1/2 to 2 miles out, with minimal additions to the transmitting or
receivine antenaes.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.