From: ggilliss at netpublishing.com (Gregory A. Gilliss)
Subject: Re: [FD] Super Worm

Seriously-nudging-up-to-off-topic-but...

You make a good (albeit incomplete) point. You left out that BITD ('88)
security was NOT a line item, since the 'net was, effectively, a finite
and restricted community. Not every damned idiot has a dial-up, and
almost no one had their own private broadband. The many universities and
private sector companies that were connected served as gateways for
thousands, not tens of millions, of users. The users, in turn, consisted
of (mostly) people who would not tamper with the systems because they
feared (a) disrupting the community, (b) serious reprisals from their
company/university/sponsor, and (c) they were too busy doing "real" work
to have excess time left over to play "I-wonder-what-happens-if-I-try-this"
crap. I can remember people (and likely you can as well if you remember
Morris) who would "find" a hole and tell a few people in terms of
"don't-do-this-it-night-get-you-kicked-off" Shit, back in '88 people
still were playing music on line printer :-o

Fast forward fifteen years (wow). Everybody from Morris (who reputedly
pled out, served probation and was quietly ensconced in NSA along with
his dad) on down to some 85 year old AOL subscriber is online. Worse,
important (read "money") data is being stored on the publicly accessible
'net (remember universities NEVER kept important data like payroll and
grades online >-) And let's not forget the monoculture was not just
sendmail...as I recall, there were PDPs, IBMs, Cybers (IBM clones),
CDC, VAXen, and not much else available in '88 (yes, I'm discounting PCs
because they were often as not used as front end VT100/3270s for the
big iron when they weren't running Lotus or Solitaire - how things change
indeed).

Today's monoculture (and where *is* Dan Geer anyway) of Microsoft OS's
is being, has been and continues to be exploited. The serious increase in
threat postings to this list in the past week indicates that the Winter
was well spent and that people who have not already done their Spring
cleaning better stay late this week to make sure that they're not
vulnerable.

BTW, anybody who wants to *really* f**k the system these days better
go read up on SNA, because more banks and insurance companies and
hospitals than I know are ditching the "rack-o-Dells" and the requisite
expenses (people, collocation, blah blah blah) in favor of CICS/DB2
through a 3270 emulator. Stupid part is that they're transmitting that
traffic across the 'net - sometimes via VPN, often not. Forget Ethernet,
start scanning for LU6.2 if you want to be truly 31337.

--
Gregory A. Gilliss, CISSP                              E-mail: greg@...liss.com
Computer Security                             WWW: http://www.gilliss.com/greg/