From: joel at helgeson.com (Joel R. Helgeson)
Subject: Top 15 Reasons Why Admins Use Security Scanners

Top 15 Reasons Why Admins Use Security Scanners

This list has been compiled by emailing various Security/Admin lists...
Anyone care to offer their input - add to the list?

-Am I sure that I have found all vulnerabilities in my network?
-Have I configured my network properly?
-Am I finding and closing security holes fast enough?
-How do I know which machines have a missing patch?
-Are we resistant enough to network-savvy viruses that spread via known
exploits?
-Are we in compliance with HIPAA, Sarbanes-Oxley and other regulations?
-What have I missed in locking down a server or environment?
-Do I have my network perimeter and interior sufficiently protected?
-Have I identified and protected my network resources from external threats?
-Do I know which systems are now well protected?
-How vulnerable are we from the inside?
-How will I ever pass my IT Security Audits?
-How do I locate computers on my network, that are not within compliance?
-How do I report to Management that we have done all we could to lock down?
-How do I detect unknown and/or rogue devices/connections?

Joel R. Helgeson
Director of Networking & Security Services
SymetriQ Corporation

"Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he'll
be warm for the rest of his life."