From: kenng at kpmg.com (Ng, Kenneth (US))
Subject: Top 15 Reasons Why Admins Use Security Scan
	 ners

It depends on who you get.  At a previous job I was once asked to provide a
printout of the file permissions of every file on every system.  After
delivering I think it was four cartons of paper for one system, I think he
changed his mind because he didn't ask for the other systems.

But the best ever was from a goverment auditor doing a securities
investigation.  Said auditor wanted all transactions between us and XXX
between such and such dates.  Ok, we said, what format tape do you want it
on?  They insisted on a printout.  So, I think it was 14 cartons of 8.5x11
paper.  A few months later we asked them how they were doing.  They said
that they were having difficulty (AND I KID YOU NOT) OCR'ING IT BACK INTO
ELECTRONIC FORMAT.  Now think about this.  Every transaction is a series of
about 80-120 numbers of accounts, stocks, amounts, etc.  Given an OCR
accuracy of 90% (this was the early 90's), every line that they OCR'ed in
had an error on it.  Not very useful for searching for illegal trading.