From: flynngn at jmu.edu (Gary Flynn)
Subject: Innocent newbie question...

jayesh wrote:

>Now my question is outside the rather bloated Norton AV for consumers and
>mcafee which av product * strictly for home use* is recommended.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest but consider that if
you're running a "bloated" (feature too rich ) OS maybe
you need a "bloated" (feature rich) AV to help protect
it. The newest version of Symantec (9) is advertised as
supporting Spyware and as having some memory resident
process detection capabilities which would be convenient for
most users so they don't have to run multiple add-ons.
Consider too the amount of research that must be supported
to keep up with today's malware rich environment. I think
the big boys have sensors located around the world at
customer sites to detect and collect samples. They may also
be more likely to have samples submitted to them by their
larger customer base.

Just some things to think about.