From: full-disclosure at nym.hush.com (full-disclosure@....hush.com)
Subject: Learn from history?

> There is also SUS which a lot of people have started to and are
> deploying as we speak.

Exactly.

> Work arounds donmt have a place in any sort of open user environment
> they take too much time to deploy and impose to many problems on the
> end user and also need to be undone after the problem is fixed. Way

> way way to much work there.

You're generalizing here.  And compared to what?  Rebuilding all client/servers
because zeros were written to random sectors on disk?

> What is all this rubbish about. Roughly 15% of all assests attached

> to a networks around the world are unaccounted for!! So how are you

> meant to protect yourself against them. Example - firewall blocking

> all ports, some one comes in with a laptop thats infected and bobs

> your uncle you left scratching your head wondering why your firewall

> didnt work.

If wormX propogates using port Y, block any traffic with source/destination
port Y.  It doesn't solve the problem, it slows the spreading. If you
get infected, we don't need to you spread it further.  Block the shit
from going outbound.  I don't know where you got 15% (especially if they're
"unaccounted for"), but it doesn't matter because that's a policy issue,
 not a firewall one.

---
I'm done with this.