From: krajicek at ics.muni.cz (Ondrej Krajicek)
Subject: Psexec on *NIX

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:54:55PM -0400, Chris Carlson wrote:
> As I said before, I don't want to add any additional applications to my
> machines.  Yes, I know how psexec works; it adds a service, uses that
> service, then removes it.  I also know that the r services are an
> option, as is ssh, but these are not what I want.
>
> If it doesn't exist, then it doesn't exist.  In that case, I'll go make
> one.   I'm just trying to save myself some time here.

I'm really curious how are you going to do it. There is no remote
execution magic (except of remotely exploitable bugs)...
even Windows does not containt any such magic, what makes
psexec possible is RPC.

SSH (sshd) is secure, widely supported from open source community,
fixed and patched regularly. I really could not see why to
prefer proprietary solution... which anyway adds additional
applications. Is not supported, must be maintained and also patched.
Just wait for first evil user who finds a bug, but does
not report it.

Ondra

|Ondrej Krajicek                                                 (-KO|
|Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University Brno, CR          |
|http://isildur.ics.muni.cz/~ondra               krajicek@....muni.cz|