From: b.griffin at cqu.edu.au (Brad Griffin)
Subject: Wireless ISPs

Use WEP. 'cept the lock is a little rattly and could be broken.

> Not really a security issue to be relied on but does prevent
> casual entries.
>
> Always hate debates with geeks unless they are close enough
> to break their nose when they start trying to outgeek the next.

Score 10 for troll value Dan.

"I am still learning about computers"

The above statement from your first post is blatantly obvious. Further,
the content of your first post clearly shows you have difficulties
explaining yourself. Further posts show that you have trouble deciding
exactly what you want to know or to have explained to you. This is most
likely a sign that you have had learning difficulties earlier in life.
Perhaps you had comprehension issues, who knows. Please, in your
original post copied below, what is your 'main issue':

*****************
*****************
/* begin strange first post

I'm not real sure how to post this, nor am I sure of the scope. I am
still learning about computers.

All transactions done via secure websites are secure, however the auto
mailing feature to confirm orders sometimes contains sensitive data.
When the customer is on a wireless connection, be it ISP or home LAN
that data is broadcasted in the clear for anyone within range to
eavesdrop. A wired internet connection limits the number of people who
have access to this data simply by the nature of the internet putting it
within acceptable risk.

It is legal according to US law to eavesdrop on wireless connections.

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/wiretap2510_2522.htm

The only solutions I can offer are one of two things.

1. Quit sending auto confirmations with sensitive data

2. Encrypt all wireless transmissions at least making someone who gains
access to this data prosecutable.

Please direct all flames to /dev/null

Dan Becker

end strange first post */

***************
***************

Now, if you clarify your point or question, you may receive a clear
response. Otherwise you may find your address in the bit bucket of many
a user.
Did you want those flames cc'ed to misc.test or don't you want a copy?
Oh, the term, if my memory serves correct is either dev/null or dev.null
Placing a slash in front of the address is incorrect...or are you
showing your command of *ix operating systems? Or did you just get the
slashes wrong and got stuck in early DOS?

"> Always hate debates with geeks unless they are close enough
> to break their nose when they start trying to outgeek the next."

I hate it when I can't just walk down the street and backhand dickheads
who consider resorting to violence when their lack of intelligence
precludes them from a conversation with relatively experienced IT
people. Oh damn, I've lowered myself to your level Dan.

Regards,
Brad