From: arutha at gmx.de (Alexander Gretencord)
Subject: leaking

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 17:01, Alerta Redsegura wrote:
> Are you going to tell me you didn't see this ad in your MUA?
> Then, it doesn?t render HTML!

In fact yes I will tell you that. My MUA renders HTML (if you tell it to
render it globally or if you tell it exokicitly for a specific mail). but
does not load external references.

So if I get a html only mail I can read it rendered but any pictures (ads, web
bugs, whatever) are not loaded at all. The Client? Look at my headers.

You can enable loading external references in the config though but it's
disabled by default.

> Since the ignomious "web bug" is only a simple plain vainilla ad contained
> in all messages sent from Rediffmail, a web based mail service.

Yes but to be useful it has to be an url referring to a server under control
of the sender. Something my KMail won't load even when redenring a html mail
with pictures and and other stuff in it. As long as pictures are embedded in
the mail they are displayed when html is redenred but not if they are
external URLs.

Alex