From: mz at sea.uni-linz.ac.at (Markus Zeilinger)
Subject: Data about security incidents

Dear all,

I am currently working on my master thesis (computer science) and I need
your help. My topic relates to "IT security for academic institutions" which
deals with severals special points concerning IT security you get
confrontated with in an academic enviroment.
For this work I need some material about security incidents in academic
institutions in the last years (data for the last 5-6 years if available). I
need figures and facts about the following questions:
- How many incidents happen in a year? Is the incident count increasing in
the last years (if yes, by which percentage over the last years?)?
- Which kind of incidents are the most common (percentage: viruses and
worms, port scans, cross-site scripting, rpc exploits, ...?
- Which costs per year emerge from these incidents (if countable)?
- How long does it at an average take to recover from security incidents?
- Which operating systems are you using (percentage)?
- How many people are involved in your security department (if there is a
dedicated security department)?
- How many students/employees has your institution?

Since such informations are very rare and there are no reliable studies
available in this field, I would really appreciate your help!
I of course know that these are very sensible informations, so you can of
course send me the informations in an anonymous way.

You can find some more informations about my work and myself at my virtual
home at http://www.sea.uni-linz.ac.at/department/staff/mz/ (partly in
German).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
Markus Zeilinger

Markus Zeilinger
Institute for Systems Engineering and Automation
University of Linz
Altenberger Strasse 69
A-4040 Linz, AUSTRIA

Tel.: +43-(0)732-2468-8869