From: scosol at scosol.org (scosol@...sol.org)
Subject: Support the Sasser-author fund started

Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 08:31:25PM -0400, Shane C. Hage wrote:
>
>>Why should Microsoft have more blame?
>>
>>In my opinion, I believe that software companies, especially Microsoft, have
>>taken all of the appropriate steps to provide security within their
>>products.
>

> Keep your head in the sand, then.  The design from the very beginning
> was put together without security in mind.  Their OS revolutionized the
> anti-virus industry.  There are numerous alternative operating systems
> and cases where worms and viruses have been created for them (cf. the
> Morris worm, slapper, etc), and most of the bandwidth in the world sits
> on non-Microsoft software, mind you.

Isn't that more of a very gray area?
Yes, MS operating systems weren't really designed with security in mind
until (IMO) NT4, and then- that security wasn't really pushed to the
consumer until Win2k- but- that was *5 years ago* that it was.
Win2k and WinXP aren't that different from OSX or most popular Linux
distros from the "number of network servers enabled" perspective-
The MS operating systems are the main source of problems for really only
2 reasons:
1) their popularity makes them the most valuable targets
2) people don't update

All of us on this list know that if all consumers ran auto-update
properly and had it install stuff automatically, these worms would
become very rare occurences. (while admittedly creating an interesting
new set of problems)
I don't really see what more MS can be expected to do, short of shoving
auto-update down everyone's throats whether they like it or not (which
will bring the tinfoil-hat crowd out in force)
It is very seldom that a worm is out before the fix for the exploited
vulnerability- it's just a matter of diligence.

Also- your argument of "most of the bandwidth in the world sits
on non-Microsoft software" is IMO invalid- these machines that you speak
of are not operated by consumers- people are paid to keep them updated
and secure.

--
AIM: IMFDUP
http://www.scosol.org/