From: james.bliss at comcast.net (James Bliss)
Subject: Support the Sasser-author fund started

> Imagine you own a home and installed a security system on all the doors
> and windows.  You set the alarm and leave for a weekend.

OK

> A thief comes up to your house, breaks a window, and slides through the
> opening.  The alarm does not go off because the thief found a
> vulnerability in the security system.
>
> Do you blame the security company that installed your intrusion
> detection system?

Yes, and then I sue the security company for failure to provide what was
paid for.  I believe this would be a warranty provision which the security
company breached.

> Plus, most of the software is released to the public in the form of
> Betas or Release Candidates months ahead of the release date.  If
> identifying security holes was that easy then why aren't there more
> vulnerabilities reported before the 'gold' release of products.

The primary purpose for this realease is to allow a specific group of
developers and software companies the opportunity to prepare for the new
release.  It is not specifically released for security testing although I
am certain that this is performed to a limited extent (although it would
be more fruitful if they paid for security audits rather than assume they
are performed gratuitously)

> I do expect that any computer user should have fundamental security
> training before using it.  After all, the computer is a tool.  Nobody
> should operate a microwave or chainsaw without reading the safety
> instructions.  The same care should be taken for computers.

Therefore we should license computer users and require tests before they
are allowed to buy and/or use a computer?  Something along the lines of a
drivers license?  Also, have you seen some of the absurd warning in the
operating manuals - 'Do not touch the chain saw blade while in motion'.
Perhaps all computers sould have a warning - 'Do not use if you are an
idiot'.  But then most internet commerce would cease...