From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Support the Sasser-author fund started

On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:27:28 EDT, "Shane C. Hage" <shage@...online.net>  said:

> I think people forget that Microsoft must have filled a gap that these other
> operating systems didn't.  How can we blame Microsoft for capitalizing on
> the need at the time?

Yes, there was a market niche for monopolistic companies that would rather
buy/litigate/bundle their competition out of existence rather than compete
on technical merits.  Oh.. and marketing. Don't forget marketing.

> magnitude that a malicious program could have across the world.  Sure,
> Microsoft is playing catch-up with security.  They are just filling the gap
> in their own products now.

Just like they had to play catch-up with the concept of a GUI, and the Internet,
and now they act like they invented both of those.

I see dark times ahead......