From: rainer at ultra-secure.de (Rainer Duffner)
Subject: Is there any open source project support virtual
 machines

Jianqiang Xin wrote:

>hi, all:
>In our research project, we need to generate background traffic. One of
>the problem is how to use one or two machines to simulate hundreds of
>machines? Is there any open source project for this?

You could use FreeBSD and jails.
If you set it up intelligently, you can have 100s of jails on one system.
It would still be only one system with 100 IPs and different services
running on different (independant) FreeBSD-jails.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jail&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.2.1-RELEASE&format=html
So no way to simulate Windows.

And tcpreplay is also a good tool, as mentioned.

Rainer