From: kye at lewislan.id.au (Kye Lewis)
Subject: Password in the Activations Email

Is this necessarily worthy of a post to FD?

I have never used that site, but I would only consider it evil if:

        1) I gave it a password at signup
        and
        2) It emailed that password back to me

        or

        3) The password was not changable

        or

        4) the signup procedure before the activation
        required enough information about you that someone
        intercepting the mail could cause you problems

	or

	5) the email sent out contained a considerable
	amount of, and potentially harmful, information
	about you or connected to you

(the first has happened to me only a small handful of times, i've never
had the others happen)

If one of those is the case, then it's terrible, but I still don't
believe it's worthy of a CC to full-disclosure.

However I think if it sends a temporary password out, and it asks you to
change it, then that is fine in my books; it's akin to sending out an
activation "code" that one must enter to activate an account.

--
Kye Lewis <kye@...islan.id.au>