From: dsolaro at freenet.de (Denis Solaro)
Subject: irc over ssl

On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:49:34 -0400
adam <ragingsolitude@...ightbb.com> wrote:

> Do you really think that they would be using mIRC if they had unix on
> their workstations anyways? Maybe reading comprehension isn't one of
> your best skills.

He he he...

Yep, nope, I mean no.. wait, yes.

Ron DuFresne => Nope, we b0yz wer nit uzing mIrc since we wose da onez on Enix,
nixt time I wont uze no Queen's Inglish and abide to youse standirds.

Well ok, I've just realised that the original post was a typical
Unix/Win flamebait on top of taking a tangent.

But it's true that IRC is fun and still can be a great help in WAN management
coordination... same as talkd.  It's just one of those things that have been
frowned upon by the hordes of non Unix people that came in IT later and was
re-invented the wrong way in group-ware stuff.   As a result, hackers have IRC
and instant communications from Berlin to Tokyo and we Sysadmins must still
wait to reserve a conference room to talk to other sysadmins when a big DoS
attack appears.  Why? Because high management considers IRC a "hacking
thing".  Can't win that war.

As for mIrc being as insecure as Xchat.. Well Xchat had it's own share of buffer
problems that have plagued it, but it's no worm vector that would execute
whatever you send to it like mIrc has been by design.

But ok, here I go again in the tangent.  The subject was stopping those slacking
employees who use irc over ssl and how to stop them.  It's simple:
Have cameras all over the the offices watching people.  The first person who
looks happy and relaxed surely must be on IRC or a MUDD enjoying fun
conversations instead of writing stupid reports about last week's meetings.
Send in security to do their usual "don't touch the keyboard, follow us" routine
and have their personal ID badge nailed on a wall as a reminder to other
employees (add red dye spots on it to enhance effect)

IRC is a social thing... social things must be solved using social means..
Like the "Colosseum and the hungry lions" solution.  Herk herk herk...

--
Denis Solaro -- denis.solaro@...adoo.fr