From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: irc over ssl

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Dave Howe wrote:

> > Hmm.. so the company is hiring them as a "unix/cisco tech weenie"
> > and then forcing them to use Windows?
> *Sigh* you have given a name to my Ongoing Horror.
>
> I am *forced* to use MS Office - Word, Excel and Outlook - on Windows.  My
> job dutes are to look after the Solaris, HPUX, Compaq Tru64 and Cisco
> kit - but still, my workstation is and must remain Spawn Of Microsoft.
>
> Yes, I know, Crossover Office on linux - but I am not permitted to use
> software that isn't free (and that took a *lot* of work) *or* for which
> there is a licence document and purchase order reference in the office
> safe (and my boss refuses to spring for a copy) - Plus I am under orders
> not to run Linux at all (for such diverse reasons as "our licence
> compliance checking package [aka Evil Spyware] doesn't run on it").
>
> Yes, I know OpenOffice is there too - but that has been nixed. It still
> isn't 100% compatable (particularly given my boss insists on doing the
> master network diagrams using Excel drawing objects)
>
> Still, I have cygwin and openssh on here - and vnc. that's something at
> least.

One makes due in the env they are forced to play in...

I've hated those times I've been given a hammer to drive a screw, and
despised having to set a nut and bolt with two pairsof channel lock
pliers.  And sometimes all I want to do is dust the nail with a feather,
rather then Whack the sucker with a sledge.  The fuller the toolbox, the
more flexible and accurate/precise the work/skills

In the original thread, before I'd have given up the argument for a tool,
I'd have mentioned the use of a secured unix server to run the ircd <do
they even have an ircd for windows that can support with the same HW
the same population as a simple linux/*bsd intel tossaway?>.  And if I had
to set further, in a windows centric env, I'd have suggested for even more
security, make the only host allowed be a tech/admin only accessible *nix
server.  And make folks ssh to that and shell into a comandline client in
the limited OS toolset one was provided.  Pad up your argument with
mention about how each *nix server was stripped and devoted to the
service at hand, how it advances the skillset or is a walk through woods
not tread in awhile...  My last choice would likely never be to argue
for a toolset that required mirc.  Not in a security context by any means.

But, that's just me, my choices and experience.  Let others fight the
battles how they best see fit.  I just didn't see that the horse was dead
yet, when it appeared all ya had to do was turn him around to get him to
drink...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.