From: fulldisc at ultratux.org (Maarten)
Subject: Odd packet?

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 15:57, Gregh wrote:
> Getting quite a few 127.0.0.1 on differing ports lately and I know it isn't
> originating FROM this machine. Haven't sniffed any packets but they come up
> in logs.

Not saying what you see must be wrong but, if your routing / packetfilter /
kernelsettings were properly configured you would not ever get these packets
as they would be dropped before they would reach your machine.  If not your
ISP, then you (indeed everyone) should always drop packets coming from
interfaces they _cannot_ originate from.  Antispoofing, that's called.
Especially 127.x.x.x is not routed by any ISP which is worth their name.

Maybe review your setting of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter ?

> Anyone know of anything that spoofs as coming from 127.0.0.1 but comes from
> outside and what it may relate to? Only been the last week and nothing
> changed here. Thanks for any help.

Notwithstanding what I said above, spoofing 127.0.0.1 would not really serve a
purpose for an attacker.  A full TCP handshake would never occur, and a DoS
is likewise impossible (or at least real unlikely).  But who knows...

Any packet dumps available ?

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER