From: fulldisc at ultratux.org (Maarten)
Subject: Re: Cisco's stolen code

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 16:11, Glenn_Everhart@...kone.com wrote:
> Possession of the code does not prove one has copied it though.
> If someone posts it on usenet, he is copying it to numerous servers,
> but the recipient is certainly not acting as the copying agent. Similar

You have a twisted concept of what "a copy" is.
Ik someone downloads it, they DO make a copy; from the usenet server TO your
machine.  Even if you 'merely view' it on a webpage, you still make a copy.
You make a copy to your RAM, and to your browsers' cache dir.  The law
doesn't really give a shit whether the copy is volatile (RAM) or not.
In a court of law, you may be judged differently if instead of having burned a
CDrom of the offending code it is only found in your browsers' cache.
But still, that is subject to how the court interprets the law in every
individual case. But the law in itself is quite rigid, and you must assume
that viewing IS copying when it comes to digital media.

Disclaimer: IANAL but I do read a lot on the subject.

> if someone who has the code does ftp send to drop copies on someone
> else's server: the person who receives such a copy is not the one who
> performed the copy action.

Not in that case, no.  It probably all depends on who initiated it though. If
the receiving party has actively invited the upload, chances are the receiver
is in trouble.  It's like with Spam / UCE: if you receive material that is
deemed illegal in your state, there is no problem.  But if you save, collect,
or keep that content however, you probably are...

> If one received such a copy, the copyright principles would seem to
> govern: fair use copy of parts might be ok, wholesale probably not,
> though an interesting argument can be made for looking for security
> holes as a part of protecting one's own network. If you are in the
> habit of looking at code that arrives on your doorstep in the course
> of protecting your net, the US Code title might govern.

This is all academic until you actually receive stuff on your doorstep and
still can prove that you did not in any way sollicit it.  Good luck there...

> Still, it can be a major hassle to show that the code arrived unasked for
> at your door and it can be a hassle having people suspect your work might
> have derived from too-large-for-fair-use pieces thereof. I advise against
> seeking it or messing with it unbeknownst to the owners.

Yeah, precisely.

Maarten