From: dufresne at winternet.com (Ron DuFresne)
Subject: IDS WIth TCP Reset and SPAN

I think the cisco IDS was not snort, I forget what product they do use,
was not as flexible as snort and other packages, though I do assume that
in the 3-4 years since I last played with their IDS toy it has been
upgraded and issues with it fixed.

but, you are correct, most IDS systems do not do anything much more then
monitor the network stream.  Snort and other IDS systems can be
worked/setup with other tools like the firewalls capabilites to amend the
policy in response to what is seen by the IDS in stream.  But, one wants
to be careful in how they set this up, so that they avoid a sneak attack
them 'allows' their IDS/response system to denail service to their core
gateway or other resources.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

On Thu, 27 May 2004, dila wrote:

> As far as I know, Snort has no drop capabilities, hence Intrusion
> _Detection_ System.
>
> I found this using google:
> http://www.mcabee.org/lists/snort-users/Mar-03/msg00379.html
>
> -dila
>
> >Hello Group,
> >
> >Hopefully, this topic is ok to discuss here. I am fairly new to IDS systems and am having trouble getting my cisco IDS to send TCP resets. The lab network is as follows:
> >

> >               R4
> >R1----IDS----|
> >               R2------R3
> >
> >R4 and R2 are on the same ethernet segment. R1 is on Command and Control side of the sensor. The attack is coming from R3 ( telnet to R4 and issue "testattack" string ). The alarm shows up in event viewer...but no tcp reset...I mean...my telnet session stays active.
> >
> >I know this probably has something to do with how I am setting up SPAN on the switch....but I am not sure. The IDS Sensing interface, R4 and R2 are on the same switch and in VLAN 20. R3 is in VLAN 30.
> >
> >I have tried it without span ( just R4, R2 and IDS sensing interfaces in same vlan ) and with span configured as follows. Niether has worked.
> >
> >monitor session 1 source vlan 20 rx
> >monitor session 1 destination int f0/17 ingress vlan 20
> >
> >Any ideas??
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Dain

> Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
> Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation." -- Johnny Hart
	***testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!***

OK, so you're a Ph.D.  Just don't touch anything.