From: oliver_friedrichs at symantec.com (Oliver Friedrichs)
Subject: Re: Bypassing "smart" IDSes with misdirected frames? (long and boring)

> I don't see how a broacast MAC address would help the attacker.  The
> target would still recieve it.

I think you're missing his point, which is that IDSs that do not track MAC
level state (and only track IP / TCP level state) are vulnerable to an
insertion attack.  It doesn't matter what the MAC address is, as long as
it isn't the target hosts MAC address.  The real host will throw out the
packet due to a mismatched MAC address, while the IDS may process it as
valid.  This seems completely plausible, and is just another form of an
insertion attack (just like invalid checksum insertion, etc).  To
accomplish this however, someone needs to have physical access to the
target network in order to forge valid IP packets destined to another MAC
address, at which point I would argue you have worse problems.  Granted
they may be on the oustide of the bridging device, trying to get inside..

> The IDS will see not see a valid response to the "DATA" command (that is

> never received) so it will know it is still in SMTP command mode.  Even
> if your not-so-smart IDS let this slip by, there is still the issue of
> "DEBUG" not being in a valid format for a header.

I think that this is going to be IDS implementation specific.  It depends
on too many factors that I dont think it can be answered unless someone
tests each product.  For example, a given IDS may be vulnerable to the
following:

Take an IDS that is checking for valid responses before changing
application protocol level state. After you have forged your DATA command,
send a legitimate command to the SMTP server (one that doesn't cause an
application level state change in the IDS).  This legitimate command would
have the same TCP sequence number as your previous forged request.
Assuming that the IDS will drop it as redundant, and that the server will
receive (since in this case it is to its valid MAC address) it this time.
The server responds with some 200 code.  Is that enough?  I would argue
for some IDSs it probably will be enough to change state, since the
arguments to 200 codes vary so much, they are probably just looking for
anything that is modulus 200.  So then the state engine would be in DATA
mode, not detecting the DEBUG command.

Disclaimer: I do not work with Symantec's IDS products, so please dont ask
me what we do!

Oliver Friedrichs
Sr. Manager - DeepSight
Symantec, Inc. - (650) 381-8045