From: dk at pwarchitects.com (dk)
Subject: Breaking Laws Cisco's stolen code

Bart.Lansing@...ls.com wrote:

> Charlie...
>
> Put down the crack pipe and back away slowly.  You are surely not
> suggesting that this issue of Cisco's code has anything...at
> all...remotely...in common with the people and actions you
> listed...seriously...you're kidding...right??
>
> Bart Lansing
> Manager, Desktop Services
> Kohl's IT
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
> This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
> and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
> If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution
> or use of the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
> If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and
> notify us immediately at 262-703-7000.
>
> CAUTION:
> Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's
> reserves the right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and
> received. Kohl's reserves the right to monitor messages by authorized
> Kohl's Associates at any time
> without any further consent.

Wow.
Well Charlie's post was - at minimum - entertaining. Not to mention a
bit thought provoking on where different peoples of similar ilk may take
different turns on the morality (or duty) they apply to modern technical
issues aside from what they are instructed to do by black-letter law. It
also speaks to the wonder of issues we may have to face in the future
with situations that indeed *will* have much in common with the souls
mentioned. "We" always repeat the same old mistakes in each new venue we
create. At some point laws & regulations should always be questioned,
they don't just change themselves. These questions seem to come at the
oddest times, over the oddest things sometimes...

Anyway: The body of his message was filled with interesting content. In
the future, perhaps you might restrain from mocking messages that are at
least shorter than your overly-broad, vague, fear-clad corporate
boilerplate sig. Are you actually required by corp policy to include
this most droll thing *every* time you send mail?

Gads, step away from the Memorial Day "Bonus Buys", get out of the
cubicle and turn off the fluorescent lights. Go check out your
reflection in a pond, go for a walk, stare at some fish Bart.

--
dk