From: Tim.Saunders at aquilauk.co.uk (Tim Saunders)
Subject: "License Check" Highway Scanner.

We have had these type of device in use the the UK for a while.

The congestion charging scheme in London uses a large network of
camera's to read every number plate entering central London. They are
logged to check they have all paid the congestion charge. The police are
also alerted if a stolen vehicle is spotted or one belonging to a
criminal or other person they wish to find. From what has been said I
think MI5/MI6 also use the system.

On some motorways we have averaging speed camera. These consist of two
camera's that log number plates and times. The first camera logs the
time you pass it and then a second camera works out how fast you must
have been going to get to it from the first camera. If you broke the
speed limit you get a speeding ticket through the post. Again the Police
(and probably MI5) use the system to check for vehicles belonging to
people they want to speak to.

Before road tax rules changed the police had mobile number plate reading
camera's they used to check all the cars passing by had paid their road
tax. They also checked for stolen vehicles etc. I am not sure if these
camera's are still used as the police no longer have to catch you on the
road to fine you for not paying road tax. Now they just search a
database to see who hasn't paid.

Tim Saunders