From: keydet89 at yahoo.com (Harlan Carvey)
Subject: antivirus and spyware scanning

> I think it is very useful to scan a windows machine
> from viruses while having that machine booted to
> linux.  This pretty much ensures that you will find
> all the virii on that system.

Not necessarily.  You'll have to update the virus
signatures on your CD distribution prior to scanning,
and that doesn't guarantee complete coverage, either.

> Does anyone know of a spyware scanner that can also
> work from within Linux?  I dis-like the idea of
> having to boot to windows just to scan the box for
> spyware.  One could argue that the harddrive could
> be put into another machine and scanned there, but
> what if your in an environment where that is just
> not possible (making housecalls, no unused machine,
> etc)?
>
> Also, if you know of a better solution that this, I
> am always interested.

Better solution than what?  I'm not really clear on
what you're trying to do...you seem to have Windows
machines that you're interested in scanning for
viruses and spyware...why not simply use Windows apps?
 That way, you wouldn't have to boot to another os, or
remove the hard drive at all...