From: alfie at leaflock.homeip.net (Alfie)
Subject: MS Anti Virus?

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:11:26AM -0700, Eric Paynter wrote:
> On Thu, June 17, 2004 8:51 am, DAN MORRILL said:
> > Does it really matter who is in the anti-virus market? If Microsoft goes
> > that way, and they have the best knowledge of what they created...
>
> (puts on tinfoil hat)
>
> >From a paranoid point of view, "best knowledge of what they created" is a
> little scary. With MS in the virus prevention market, and with their
> history of unethical anti-competitive behaviour... I'd bet they'd always
> be the first to recognize a new virus. How? Because they could build in
> the vulnerability and create the virus and the signature in the AV all at
> the same time. Then anybody who has MSAV is unaffected, while the *real*
> AV companies are always one step behind... Zero day viruses already
> detected by MSAV - MS are Gods! How did they know? The other vendors lose
> market share because they suck compared to MS... Eventually, MS owns the
> AV market, the competition declares bankrupcy, and we have no choice in
> what AV tool to use.
>
> (takes off tinfoil hat)
>
> OK, it seems paranoid. And if they were found out, it would mean (several
> more) years in anti-trust court. But when has that stopped MS before?
> [...]

Recently, an audio tape was released of Enron employees frankly
talking about stealing millions of dollars per day from the
people of California.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/06/01/eveningnews/main620626.shtml

So, if there was any doubt before whether a large corporation can
brazenly gouge customers, I think it's safe to say that such
behavior is quite possible.

--
"There isn't enough darkness in the world to douse the light of a single
 candle."